Master of Medicine (Psychiatry) is a postgraduate academic degree offered by Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia. This program aims to produce competitive medical practitioners who have high ethical values and critical thinking skills to make informed decisions in the area of mental health.
The minimum and maximum periods of candidature are 4 and 7 years, respectively, on a full-time basis.English is the medium of instruction, but Bahasa Melayu is sometimes employed (where relevant).
Phase I: Year 1
- Theory: Basic Medical Sciences and Psychiatry.
Phase II: Year 2 & 3
- Theory and Training: General Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, including Research Methodology.
- Subspecialty Posting: Rehabilitation and Community Psychiatry, Forensic, Geriatric Psychiatry Child & Adolescent and Drug Addiction.
- Posting: Internal Medicine / Neurology.
Phase III: Year 4
- Posting: Psychiatric Consultation (Liaison) and provide a report of a dissertation that began from Year 2 and work as a Psychiatrist trainee (Consultant Psychiatrist in Training) in addition to studying the field of administrative psychiatry.
Candidates must meet the following conditions:
- Malaysian citizen.
- Has MBBS, MBChB, MD or its equivalent from a recognized university.
- Fully registered with the Malaysian Medical Council (MMC).
- Has the clinical experience for at least 1 year after full registration.
- Has been confirmed from the current organization.
- Has served in the government of the country not less than 3 years.
- Age not exceeding 40 years.
- Never fails the course, withdraw or refuse the offer of Master of Medicine.
- Has Annual Performance Evaluation Report for the last 3 years in a row is not less than 85%.
- Free from disciplinary action record.
- Meet the admission requirements set by the university and Ministry of Health Malaysia.
Programme Coordinator : Dr. Rahima Dahlan, Department of Psychiatry
Contact no : 03-9769 2541
Updated:: 22/04/2022 [sazwan.ishak]